At Washington Academy, we recognise our moral and statutory responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of all students. We endeavour to provide a safe and welcoming environment where children are respected and valued. We are alert to the signs of abuse and neglect and follow our procedures to ensure students receive effective support, protection, and justice.
The Washington Academy Child Protection Officers are:
- Head of Safeguarding and Wellbeing (Designated Safeguarding Lead) - Miss L Coates
- Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead - Mrs A Taylor
Concerns should be reported through the SHARP Reporting link
Further, safeguarding concerns can be emailed to, email@example.com
The Internet and other digital technologies are powerful tools, which open up new opportunities for everyone. Electronic communication helps teachers and students learn from each other. The use of these exciting and innovative tools in the academy and at home has been shown to raise educational standards and promote student achievement.
Children and young people should have an entitlement to safe Internet access at all times and as such Washington Academy’s e-Safety strategy (of which the e-safety policy plays a pivotal role) will help ensure the safe and appropriate use of the Internet and digital technologies.
The use of new technologies can put young people at risk within and outside the academy. Some dangers they may face include:
- Access to illegal, harmful, or inappropriate images or other content.
- Unauthorised access to / loss of / sharing of personal information.
- The risk of being subject to grooming by those with whom they make contact on the Internet.
- The sharing / distribution of personal images without an individual’s consent or knowledge.
- Inappropriate communication/contact with others, including strangers.
- Access to unsuitable video / Internet games.
- Illegal downloading of music or video files.
- The potential for excessive use may impact the social and emotional development and learning of the young person.
We have invested in Impero Education Pro e-safety & Internet safety software to ensure our school network is as safe as can be for your children, click here to read about the features of this software and how it plays a key role in keeping our children safe.
Many of these risks reflect situations in the offline world, and it is essential that Washington Academy and its community work together to eliminate as much risk as is possible.
In working towards this, Washington Academy has invested in the development of a comprehensive monitoring strategy that allows the school to proactively work with our students and their parents/carers to reduce the risks and dangers described above.
There is a range of online support & guidance websites for students, parents/carers, and staff that provide vital information on the safe use of the Internet and digital technologies.