Our knowledge-rich curriculum is broad, balanced, demanding and progressive. It is carefully planned to ensure that content is regularly revisited so that learning ‘sticks’ and students know more and remember more over time.
At Washington Academy we believe our curriculum has the attributes to deliver this.
Our intent is that the Curriculum:
- Provides a broad and balanced curriculum that is truly comprehensive and accessible to all pupils with no ceilings.
- Delivers opportunities for students to learn, to be successful, to gain useful, transferable skills whilst also acquiring relevant knowledge.
- Enables high standards of academic achievement where outcomes empower students to progress to their next stages of learning.
- Affords opportunities for all pupils to develop a high level of literacy and numeracy required for success in the wider curriculum and in adult life.
- Expands students' perspectives through a range of spiritual, moral, social and cultural opportunities to promote their sense of moral and social responsibility.
- Ensures that all pupils are able to thrive and develop as healthy individuals and successful global citizens.
- Ensures that all pupils are safe and understand how to stay safe.
- Fosters a strength of character, and resilience that will help pupils to cope with choices and overcome the challenges they are likely to encounter in life.
- Provides an appropriate range of opportunities and experiences to inspire pupils to succeed in the next stage in their education, training or employment.
Curriculum overviews for Washington Academy along with all year groups can be found below.