Mrs K Oakland
0191 580 4956
Mrs C Lilley
Careers education and guidance programmes make a major contribution to preparing young people for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life. A planned progressive programme of activities supports them in choosing 14–19 pathways that suit their interests and abilities and help them to follow a career path and sustain employment throughout their working lives.
Here at Washington Academy we strive towards:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
As part of student entitlement, careers education, information, advice and guidance is embedded across our curriculum, this involves guidance on labour market information, trends, decision making & choices, employability, curriculum vitae support, application form support, support with interviews and research techniques including career planning, and self-awareness questionnaires.
We also provide independent and impartial careers advice and guidance to all our Year 8, 9 10 and 11 pupils on an individual basis where students have the opportunity to discuss post 16 options for further education, work based routes or employment. Students also visit colleges, sixth forms and other training providers during school year 10. We run our careers programme regularly through tutor time for years 7-10. There are also visits to universities and higher education fairs from year 7 onwards.
Careers Provision 2019/20
- Year Tutor time PSHE Time Assessment
Year 7 Tutor programme – Personal SWOT analysis, job sector research and presentation and my careers plan. Being an aspirational student. Monitored and tracked using a tracking system which is updated by form tutor and monitored by KO.
- Year 8 Tutor programme – Future me project, college or 6th form activities and opportunity to watch and discuss academt staff videos. Careers devekopment focus – how to develop my communication skills, how to develop my teamwork skills and what and how to become and entrepreneur. Monitored and tracked using a tracking system which is updated by form tutor and monitored by KO.
- Year 9 Tutor programme – what’s next activities, apprenticeships and university information, universitites – where and when and creation of future action plan. How can we foster a growth mindest to succeed and achieve? Monitored and tracked using a tracking system which is updated by form tutor and monitored by KO.
- Year 10 Tutor time – students follow the building my skills programme from Esh Group. There is a range of checkpoint to complete all rrelting to future careers which leds to a mock interview day. Careers and finance – tax and national insurance – reading playslips. Monitored and tracked using a tracking system which is updated by form tutor and monitored by KO.
- Year 11 Tutor programme where tutors really get to know what their tutees would like to do and track their intended destination. Discuss their action plan from Careers Advisor. One on one careers interview. Monitored and tracked using a tracking system which is updated by form tutor and monitored by KO.
Careers Events Calendar